Monday, August 10, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation... (Part 1)

Come along with us as we explore
the headwaters of
The Mississippi River.

This interpretive center is located
in
Itasca State Park,
which is located
about 225 miles
northwest of the
Twin Cities,
in Minnesota.
It is an extensive state park
with lots to offer.
Today we will just discover the
the Mississippi River.

With just a short walk...

We're just about there...
It's great to stretch your legs
after that long car ride.

Here's a bit of history....

A look at some of the fauna....
(more pix to follow - later this week)

And here we are!
We've made it!
Joining Jacob and I on our vacation
is my niece, Amanda.

This is a view of Lake Itasca.
As you can see,
we had overcast skies.
It was a cool 70 degrees.

You can cross the river this way...

Or this way!

Or what the heck,
This Way!

The water was quite chilly!

(All of that digging my toes in the sand
wrecked my pedicure.)
But look at how clean and clear
the water is at the source!

Stay tuned...
more vacation pix to follow
this week!

Robyn

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robyn, those are the coolest pictures. I loved the ones walking across the river. I never even thought of the Mississippi being that shallow. Really cool.

Hugs,
Chris

Dirt Princess said...

FUN!

Stacey said...

Ooooh....that water looks good. :) I'm glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Robin!!!!! What a cool vacation! That water looked crisp and clean! I cant wait to see the rest of your pics!

xoxoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Salmagundi said...

Looks like a fun trip beginning. Anxious to see where else you go. Isn't it about time for your State Fair extravaganza? I remember all of the fun food you ate last year!! Sally

jerseygirl211 said...

Hi Robyn,

That water looks so nice a cool, it's 98+ here today, making our pool water cloudy. We still have company, they spent most of the day in the pool, it was too hot to go to the beach. Just thought I'd drop by and send you a HELLO!!!!!

Justine said...

ooh ooh ooh, how cool is this? Dipping your piggies in the great Mississippi?

Justine :o )

niartist said...

oooo! I just wanna soak my feet in that water and rub them along the rocks! What a great little spot! :) Looking forward to seeing part 2 of the vacation pics! :)

Bridget said...

How cool! Thanks for taking us along. My SIL has shared some pretty pictures of the trails around your parts with me before and it is really quite beautiful, at least in the warmer weather. lol

SmilingSally said...

It is amazing to see such clean water. Your vacation spot looks like a good bit of fun and plenty of relaxation time.

cindy said...

Robyn, you had to pass right on by my store to get to this park! I am right off of 371 in Backus. (well about 10miles from there) I have always wanted to go to the park..but never have made it...now I can see it through your eyes...Thanks! Too bad it doesnt look that clean down river! ~Cindy~

Unknown said...

Nothing like wading in the river. Oh so refreshing and looks like everyone was having fun.
Happy Twirls

Martha said...

It's amazing that the Mighty Mississippi is so small at the beginning!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Robyn
Great post! I saw the end of the Mississippi in Louisiana and now I've seen the beginning on your blog. It is such a mighty river!

Wouldn't it be fun to sail down it from one end to another? Do ships do that?