Friday, September 6, 2013

Dipping My Toe Back in the Water...

I am mustering up the courage to start my blog again.   It's amazing how rusty I feel.  With all of the new amendments and attachments,  I sure hope I can keep up.  It used to seem so simple.  Now it seems very complicated.

With a lot of encouragement from my son Jacob ~ I am ready to give it a shot.  So without further adieu Welcome back to....

There is Always Thyme for....

It's been a few years so I need to catch you up a bit....last we spoke I told you that I was a member of the unemployed.  That after 10 loyal years of service, I was easily replaced at my dental office with a cheaper, younger version.  "Don't take offense, Robyn it's only economics, you know."   I thought okay,  I will take advantage of this situation and use it as a leisurely vacation to finally do all of those things I wish I could do while I was working.  All of the cupcakes I always wanted to bake.  All the rooms I wanted to paint and redecorate and  all of  the flowers I wanted to plant.  I did accomplish quite a few of those things, but life has a way of tossing you a curve-ball and I am at that age of aging parents.  Both of my parents have had their share of health issues and I am fortunate enough to be available to help them out.   

Meanwhile, my son graduated from High School and is now a sophomore in college majoring in Electrical Engineering.  Did I mention he is on the Dean's List?   I am so lucky that a) he won a 4 year scholarship and b) that he chose to accept that scholarship and live at home while attending school.  

The other day Grampa wanted to pick up a few things from Sam's Club and the grocery store and he talked Jacob into driving him there.  While they were gone I thought I would surprise them with a batch or two of cookies.  I started digging thru the pantry and decided on Oatmeal cookies.  Of course, I was out of oatmeal, so I sent  Jacob a text to bring home some oatmeal....


So...needless to say I will be blogging a few oatmeal recipes until all 110+ servings are consumed.   I will appreciate any suggestions you have to offer :)   I stumbled upon a few really good cookie recipes from Pinterest and I modified this one by substituting diced apples for the usual raisins and I  roughly chopped the walnuts for more of a crunch.



Apple Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

ingredients
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup diced apple
  • 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
directions

1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and, if desired, cinnamon. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Stir in rolled oats.

2.   Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Let stand on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks and let cool. Makes about 48 cookies.

Give these a try and let me know what you think.  Also, if you have any helpful blogging tips or tricks feel free to pass those along, as well.   

~ Robyn





7 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Welcome back my Dear friend..I still think of you as "I'm Jacob's Mom" Glad to hear he is doing so well..And WOW!! on the dean's list..I know you are so proud of him..Many blessings to you girl..Hugs and smiles Gloria

imjacobsmom said...

Thanks for the welcome back, Gloria. I honestly didn't think anyone would notice that I posted - haha! There is so much to learn. I should have stuck with it and grown with the rest of you girls. If you have any tidbits or pointers don't hesitate to share. Hugs, Robyn

cherry said...

Welcome back these look yummy love the addition of the apples.. Wish I had a plate full right now..
hugs, Cherry

Kt said...

I made these today and they are delicious. I changed a few things to healthy them up. I used whole wheat flour, replaced the eggs (allergy), added in wheat germ, reduced the sugar to 1 cup total.

I changed the above because I am going to serve them for breakfast to my kids in lieu of sugary cereals. Also, they eat cookies a lot faster than cereal (they are 3, 3, and 5 and the 3 years old take 40 minutes to eat cereal - ridiculous!).

One thing- you didn't tell us precisely when to add in the walnuts and apples. I just threw 'em in with the oats and had a good ole time stirring and stirring.

Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe! My whole household agrees- YUMMY! Ten thumbs up to you!
Katie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Robyn, I'm so glad to see you back! I was so surprised to see a comment from you on my blog. Yes, blogging has changed a lot, and yes, it used to be a lot more simple. Your oatmeal cookie recipe sounds really good. I really like the idea of substituting dried apples for the raisins. Congratulations on your son's accomplishments! Welcome back to Blogville! laurie

imjacobsmom said...

Kt, Thanks for leaving suggestions to the recipe. How much wheat germ did you add, I 'd like to try that myself. ~ Robyn

Lori E said...

Well hi there! We all seem to come and go in the blogosphere. Welcome bck.
I often buy an ingredient with high hopes and good intentions and never get around to using it. Good for you for getting it done.
Props to your son on a great life choice.